All Classes of Pigs
A shortage of well finished prime pigs today saw buyers leave empty handed and unable to fulfil orders. A top price of £178 was achieved by MP Tattersall, Langholm for Duroc x gilts. Closely followed by Pietrain x gilts from TS Wilson, Cockermouth achieving £170. Prime boars sold to £160 for Duroc x from MP Tattersall, Landholm with others at £150 from TS Wilson. Prime hogs sold to £145 for Large White x from GG&MA Long, Pennington. Top pence per kilogram today was 181p/kg achieving by TS Wilson selling gilts. Other well finished pigs generally achieving 140p/kg to 170 p/kg depending on breed and type. A huge entry of over 100 store and weaner pigs saw a top price of £63 achieved for Pietrain x gilts from M Skillings, Rosendale who sold others at £146. Weaners sold to £30 for Large White x from J GE Heseltine & Son, Skipton and Dumfries House Farm, Dumfries. The youngest weaners sold to £17 for Gloucester all Spots from MK&LK Whitley & Son, Summerbridge.
An entry of 1438 prime lambs sold to an overall market average of 246p/kg for lambs ranging from 31kg to 60kg with over a third of the entry being heavy weight lambs (49kg plus). Well-bred heavy weight lambs sold to a top price of £162 for three quarter bred Texel’s from R Allen, Ings with Suffolk x selling to £149 from WT Whittaker & Son, Nether Kellet, with £148 achieving by F&SA Edmondson, Ulverston and TMW&H Hodgson, Ulverston selling Texel x. Heavy weight lambs regularly sold at £132-£145. Standard lambs sold to £133 for Texel x from Wannops Farms Limited, Morecambe. Beltex x archived £132 from JG&PH Thompson, Selside with others regularly achieving £112-£122. Top pence per kilogram today was a 308p/kg achieved for a pair of Beltex x lambs from AE Atkinson & Son, Endmoor. Beltex lambs achieving 292p/kg from JG&PH Thompson and Texel to 280p/kg from AJ&SE Burrow, Milnthorpe. Well-bred three quarter and pure bred lambs nicely selling at 260p/kg to 280p/kg. Hill lambs are now coming forward in greater numbers selling to £138 for Cheviots from Stockdale Farms, Sedbergh and Messers J Allonby & Sons, Grayrigg. Mules sold to £132 from F&SA Edmondson, Ulverston.
Well finished light weight lambs continue to sell to a premium, selling to £101 for Texel x from EM Standing, Witherslack with others at £98 from M Allen, Yealand. Hill lambs sold to £77 for Swaledales and £68 for Rough Fells. Light weight lambs regularly achieving 225-240p/kg depending on breed, quality and finish.
- 650 ewes were forward today at Junction 36.
- Suffolks topped at £146 from F&SA Edmondson, Ulverston.
- Leicesters sold to ££140 from R Harker & Son, Grayrigg.
- DM Bargh, Heaton achieved £132 for Texels.
- Mule topped at £116 on two occations from WT Whittaker & Son, Nether Kellet and JW Thwaites, Penrith followed by £115 from M Allen, Carnforth.
- Cheviot Mules sold to £115 from TH&D Cornthwaite, Grange Over Sands.
- Hill bred sheep saw Swaledales to £90 from I Clarke, Crosthwaite, £85 from F&SA Edmondson, Ulverston and £85 from JW Thwiates, Penrith.
- Cast rams topped at £140 for Suffolks from A Clarke & Johnson, Windermere.
- Leicesters sold to £140 from RS&BA Harker, Holme.
- Cheviots topped at £110 from JW&E Woof & Son, Firbank.