Salary range – up to £22,000 and commensurate with experience. 40 hours per week.
North West Auctions operates two highly successful auction marts in Lancaster and at the J36 Rural Auction Centre near Kendal where it shares its home with over 20 other rural-based businesses. Agriculture is our passion and our customers are loyal hard working farmers who have come to expect and deserve the very highest levels of customer service. We provide professional services including auctioneering, valuations and sales of land and property. Our staff work as a team to deliver exceptional results and we are now looking for someone to join us.
We are looking to appoint a full time auctioneers’ clerk and administrator with proven customer service and communication skills, excellent IT ability and an aptitude to undertake some finance-based tasks using Sage accounts software. The role will be varied and demanding and while it would suit someone who has worked in the agricultural sector this is not a necessity as full training will be given. As we plan for the future there will be opportunities to progress within the company for the right candidate.
The role involves working as part of a team but also on your own to ensure the highest levels of customer care is delivered and where an attention for detail and working to deadlines is a must. We use a range of computer software products including Newline ASP, i-bidder, Sage accounts and Microsoft Office including Publisher. A working knowledge of Sage accounts package will be an advantage for this position and experience of some or all of the other software packages we use will be useful but not essential for a candidate willing to learn.
This is a full-time role working between both our auction sites providing office administration support to our Office Manager, Auctioneers and Fieldsmen. This will include the preparation of pre and post-sale documentation along with sale day office duties as well as clerking for the auctioneer. Some seasonal evening and weekend work will be required.
Write to us and tell us a bit about yourself and why you will be the ideal candidate to join our team. A full job description is available below.
Please apply in writing with current CV to Helen Rickard, Office Manager, North West Auctions, J36 Rural Auction Centre, Crooklands, Milnthorpe, LA7 7FP. Closing date for applications Monday 22 February 2021. Interviews to be held Wednesday 3 March 2021.
Job Title: Auctioneers’ Clerk and Administrator
Reports to: Office Manager
The key aspect for this role is to become familiar with all the routines relating to the smooth running of each sale from start to finish. To conduct all elements of the role and day-to-day routines to a high standard. Qualities needed include time management skills, organisational skills with an eye for detail. You will be self-motivated.
Sale Day Office Administration
• Set up and close sales on the computer promptly, produce accurate invoices and pay out the vendors by BACS or cheque on time.• Post payments to the sales ledger and assist with queries relating to bank reconciliation• Post transactions on to computer as required• Import all sales transaction details to the Sage accounts system and identify any errors or omissions – a good understanding of how the auction system integrates with Sage accounts will be needed to ensure each sale balances and accounts data is correct or corrected.• Balance the sales ledger to control accounts nominal on a weekly basis• Have an understanding of how each sale section works and comply with regulations relating to animal movements and legislation requirements, be able to assist with enquiries relating to animal movements• Have a day-to-day rapport with IT support staff to get advice and support where needed on the software and to troubleshoot issues• To be able to complete all tasks relating to the running of the sale from dealing with customers to producing sale day paperwork• To maintain an organised and tidy work area and comply with all relevant Health and Safety guidelines• To comply with all relevant GDPR requirements relating to data held on computer.• To comply with all relevant Covid-19 safe working regulations
Sale Day Catalogues
• To ensure that all information is obtained correctly, beginning from the issue of entry form being sent, to taking entries over the telephone.• Catalogues to be typed accurately and produced to strict deadlines to ensure these can be put on the website and posted to vendors and purchasers in good time• To work with procurement manager and auctioneers on special Pedigree Society sales and produce catalogues to their requirements and standards• Upon auctioneers’ request you may be required to canvas for entries by contacting customers by telephone.
Sale Day Clerk
• Auctioneers’ for both our Junction 36 and Lancaster sites for all sale days, clerking for all types of sales throughout the year. Ensure all information regarding price, weight, buyer is recorded accurately on to the computer. Errors and omissions to be corrected promptly.
• When not clerking on sale days your presence will be required on the counter to deal with both vendors and purchasers ensuring that the sale process for our customers runs smoothly and efficiently.• To talk to customers to obtain future livestock entries and assist with all queries, take payment from buyers.• Customers will be confident that their needs will be dealt with efficiently and promptly.• You will be involved in each sale from the very start to the finish ensuring all documentation is correctly completed and finalised and regulatory functions completed
• To provide admin support for our auctioneers, including completing paperwork relating to farm stock valuations and any insurance valuations that our auctioneers are instructed to complete including producing invoices using Sage.• To type letters for the auctioneers as requested• Assist with the production of ad-hoc sales flyers and posters.• Website administration – to keep the website up to date with sales reports and sales calendar housekeeping and general updates.
PR & Social Media
• To assist with shows and events as needed from booking trade stands to helping set up and attendance at events when requested.
The role will be split between the two market sites and will for most of the year be as follows (with additional special and seasonal sales as required)
Monday Lancaster Prime Sheep / Seasonal Sales of Sheep with LambsTuesday Junction 36 Prime Sheep / Pigs / Seasonal Sales of Sheep with LambsWednesday Junction 36 Catalogue Preparation / AdministrationThursday Junction 36 Store Cattle / Calves / OTM / Store LambsFriday Lancaster Store Cattle / Calves / OTM / Store LambsSaturday Junction 36 Monthly Machinery Sales (when re-commence)/Seasonal Breeding Sheep Sales
The start and finish times for each day will be dictated by the sale type, the time of year and by the needs of the business. This is a full time role where flexibility will be needed.